Hair Loss, Hair Thinning & Balding Treatment Indianapolis and Carmel
Turkle & Associates Plastic Surgery and Dermatology
Treatment for Hair Loss, Balding or Thinning Hair Indianapolis & Carmel IN
In our practice, patients interested in treatments or procedures for hair loss, thinning hair or balding are seen by Turkle & Associates board certified dermatologist, Dr. Matt Strausburg.
We invite you to continue reading for frequently asked questions and more information about hair loss and how we can help you.
About Hair Loss, Hair Thinning & Balding
Hair loss, also known as alopecia, is a very common condition. Many men and women with hair loss, balding or just thinning hair seek treatment as they are upset about the problem and find it affects their daily lives.
Some hair loss is normal, however if it is excessive, it’s important to find the cause since it can be a symptom of a more serious medical problem. Hair loss of up to 100 hairs per day is considered normal and the older you are, the more hairs you will shed.
Dr. Strausburg can let you know whether or not your hair loss will respond to treatment.
Hereditary Hair Loss, Hair Thinning or Balding
Hereditary balding or thinning of hair in women and men is the most common cause of hair loss and people find it quite distressing.
You may hear this type of hair loss called male pattern baldness or female pattern baldness. The genetic tendency to lose hair can be inherited from either the mother’s or father’s side of the family. It can even start in teenagers.
Men with this type of hair loss often experience a receding hairline or a bald spot which usually starts on the top of their head. Women usually notice their hair is thinner, but do not become completely bald. Many times women report the part in their hair seems to be getting wider. This condition is called androgenetic alopecia and it can start in the teens, twenties or thirties.
Unfortunately, there is no cure, although medical treatments for hair loss have are available that may help.
You can find our information about our treatments and procedures for re-growing hair due to hereditary hair loss and thinning in the next section.
Treatments & Procedures Hair Loss, Hair Thinning & Balding
The proper treatment or procedure for your hair loss will depend on the reason you are losing hair. Many causes for hair loss can be found further down the page and common treatments include:
- Medication – medicines to reverse hair loss and thinning include cortisone (steroids), Minoxidil (Rogaine), finasteride, anti-fungals and more. Medicines for hair loss can be in the form of pills, injections or topical (rubbed on).
- Treating Medical Conditions – treatment for hair loss due to a medical condition, can involve simply controlling the disease process or other problem which is causing you to lose hair.
- Improving Hair Home Care – if your hair loss is due to improper hair care, correction of hair care procedures can help you stop losing hair. You can find recommendations for proper haircare further below.
- NeoGraft Hair Transplants – hair transplants using the NeoGraft Hair Restoration procedure can be used for both men and women. Our page on NeoGraft Hair Transplants is here.
- Selphyl PRP Hair Restoration – PRP therapy for hair restoration is a new procedure that has been shown to help with hair loss or thinning hair. The process utilizes the patient’s own blood platelet rich plasma to promote hair growth. Our page on Selphyl PRP Hair Restoration is here.
Sometimes your hair may grow back, but other hair loss products can help too. We carry a great product called Ducray who has hair renewal products for both men and women. Information about these products can be found on our Ducray for Hair Loss page here. You can purchase them at our office, by calling us at 317-848-0001 or online at our hair loss product page here. If you’re not sure if Ducray is right for you, please call us–we’ll be delighted to help!
Dr. Strausburg will let you know if your hair loss will stop with time, or provide you with your best treatments for hair loss at the time of your appointment.
Hair Loss, Hair Thinning & Balding Due to Improper Hair Care
Improper hair care can cause you to lose hair as follows:
- Hair Treatments – many men and women use chemical treatments on their hair, including dyes, tints, bleaches, straighteners and permanent waves. These treatments rarely damage hair if they are done correctly. However, the hair can become weak and break if any of these chemicals are used too often, if the solution is left on too long, if two procedures are done on the same day, or if bleach is applied to previously bleached hair.
- Hair Styling – hair styles that pull on the hair, like ponytails and braids, should not be pulled tightly and should be alternated with looser hairstyles. The constant pull causes some hair loss, especially along the sides of the scalp.
- Hair Grooming – shampooing, combing and brushing too often can also damage hair, causing it to break. Using a cream rinse or conditioner after shampooing will make it easier to comb and more manageable. When hair is wet, it is more fragile, so vigorous rubbing with a towel, and rough combing and brushing should be avoided. Don’t follow the old rule of 100 brush strokes a day-this damages your hair. Instead, use wide toothed combs and brushes with smooth tips.
Hair will usually grow back after treating it properly.
What Else Causes Hair Loss, Hair Thinning & Balding?
Please click the links below for information about other types of hair loss.
- Hair Loss Due to Stress or Poor Nutrition – you can lose hair due to emotional problems or issues that stress your body like illness, poor nutrition, disease processes, pregnancy, medications like birth control pills and more. Our page on hair loss due to stress or poor nutrition is here.
- Hair Loss Due to Diseases – you can lose hair due to diseases of the scalp or hair follicles. If you have round patches where hair is lost, you may have alopecia areata. Information about alopecia areata is here. Another condition which can cause you to lose hair is scalp psoriasis. Go here for scalp psoriasis information.
Diagnosing the Reason for Hair Loss, Hair Thinning & Balding
Dr. Strausburg will take your medical history and examine your areas of concern. He may be able to diagnose why your hair is getting thinner or why you are losing hair without further tests.
If there is any question about the hairloss diagnosis, he may check a few hairs under the microscope. Sometimes blood tests or a scalp biopsy may be required for an accurate diagnosis.
Contact Us About Treatments for Hair Loss, Hair Thinning & Balding
If you have more questions and would like further information about hair loss treatments, or if you are ready to schedule an appointment, contact Turkle & Associates Plastic Surgery and Dermatology by clicking here for our online quick-contact email form or feel free to call us at 317-848-0001.
To be advised of special prices, sale events and other updates, you can click here to sign up for our monthly newsletter.
*Fees are approximate only and subject to physical examination and consultation. We do try to keep the fees on our website up to date, however be advised fees are subject to change without notice. Please feel free to inquire about any price changes.
Turkle & Associates Plastic Surgery and Dermatology’s video content is for informational and educational purposes only. Viewing of these videos should not be considered medical advice, diagnosis or a treatment recommendation. As with any health concern, always seek a consultation regarding a medical condition. Any questions concerning the content of these videos may be directed to Turkle & Associates Plastic Surgery and Dermatology at firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-848-0001.