It’s the time of year when spring can’t come fast enough. Just when you think winter is finally finished, you wake to frost on the ground. And like us, you’re probably ready for an end to winter skin – being dry, flaky, red and itchy is as fun as trekking through freezing rain.
Though we can’t make warm days arrive sooner, there are easy steps to soothe skin and get it ready for spring.
1) Upgrade your moisturizer. Opt for an antioxidant-packed, emollient hydrator. For dry, aging skin we recommend SkinMedica’s Dermal Repair Cream or TNS Ceramide Treatment Cream if you’re dry and redness-prone. Patients with oily skin – or those who simply prefer a lighter moisturizer – will love Skinprint’s B5 Bloom. This silky gel uses a high amount of sodium hyaluronate (similar to hyaluronic acid) to plump and hydrate skin without occlusion.
2) Turn down the thermostat. We know it’s tempting to turn the dial way up when it’s bone-chilling. But dry heat sucks moisture from skin and hair – which is no good when you’re already dehydrated. Bonus: You’ll save money on energy bills!
3) Cleanse your face the right way – ditch the bar soap. Soap can be drying, and in areas with hard water, like Indianapolis, soap mixes with mineral deposits to form scum. A fine layer of it can stay on skin, causing irritation and clogged pores. Opt for a gentle, water soluble cleanser like SkinMedica’s Facial Cleanser or Skinprint’s Sensitive Skin Cleanser.
4) Schedule a facial plus dermaplaning with one of our estheticians at Phases skincare center. Exfoliation is especially important this time of year as skin cells turnover slower during colder months. With dermaplaning, a small razor is brushed gently across the face to remove vellus hair (aka peach fuzz) and dead skin cells. This quick process leaves skin so soft and smooth. You may find that your anti-aging serum absorbs better. To really glow, follow dermaplaning with a gentle chemical peel!
5) If your skin has really taken a beating from winter weather, a deeper treatment might work best for you. Schedule a consultation with an aesthetician at Phases Skin & Laser Center and we’ll work with you to find a treatment that will get your skin glowing for the Spring!